2.26.2012

Feb. 26, 2012 - Living in the shadows

“You’ll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut.” 
― Dr. Seuss




I was awoken this morning at 2:30am, by a very unhappy child.  With how Grayson has been feeling lately, I wasn't really surprised.  So, at 2:30 I dragged myself up to Gray's nursery, tried to soothe him but to no avail. I ended up carrying Gray down to our bed, where he would sleep for 20 minute increments where he would wake up in between, wailing. It was a long night, Justin and I didn't get much sleep...maybe 2 hours max. So I was definitely run-down today.  It was a bit tough getting up and going this morning, but today we got our cabinets, floor tiles, counter tops and back splash for our kitchen remodel! I am thrilled to finally start seeing some progress in our kitchen.  We are hoping to have the kitchen semi-together by Grayson's birthday party on  March 24th.  We headed out to the home improvement store late in the morning and it not surprisingly became an all day affair. Gray truly loves going out, so I'm never really concerned about taking him out places (unless he's had a rough day) because he is normally very well mannered.  He can almost always occupy himself because he is fascinated constantly by everything around him.  Rounding then end of our first hour at the store, he took a little snooze. He looked too precious! Thanks to my mom, we ended up getting everything we needed in only two trips! Now comes the hard part...installation!

Speaking of DIY projects, I'm starting to get everything in order for Grayson's birthday party. The theme is "The Very Hungry Caterpillar", based off the Eric Carle book. For some reason, possibly because I've lost my mind, I've decided that I will ambitiously make many of his decorations by hand.  I've had so much fun looking for ideas and gathering the materials. However, I have this sneaking suspicion that in a few weeks my delight will morph into distress!  I sense that I will come to the realization that my crafty endeavors are a bit too enthusiastic, therefore they will undoubtedly take my sanity. But... lets just look at it positively and say, pshhh, all will turn out splendidly! Right now, I have undertaken two projects; one is a handmade birthday banner and two is a birthday  party hat.  Both are easy to do and I can be as creative as I feel led.  I know I will relish the fact that Gray has keepsakes from his first birthday.  I may actually continue to make him a special party hat every year, until he's too cool for them!




Gray has recently become very captivated with shadows! He can't seem to figure them out, but he'll spend a lot of time trying to understand how they work. I captured him today looking at his own shadow on the couch.  He was so enthralled with it, that he wasn't aware I going to town with my camera. These are the moments when I look at Gray and am truly awakened to how much knowledge and comprehension he gains from even the simplest of concepts. A child's mind is truly incredible. 






No comments:

Post a Comment